If you are stuck for ideas, what would you do to help overcome that "idea-block"? One of the ways is to brainstorm for ideas is use a theatre activity called, "Yes, and ..."
This is how the game goes:
Let’s say you are planning for a birthday bash for your friend. You gather some of your common friends to brainstorm for ideas.
How to run this activity:
1) Have an agreed time frame (eg 2 mins) for this idea generation exercise.
2) First Person will start a sentence; and the following people will continue the sentence with a “Yes, and ” and then add on the idea.
3) No judging for this round and let the ideas go with the flow….
4) Next person have to keep adding on within 2-3 seconds after the previous person has contributed an idea… If that person is short of ideas, skip and move on to the next person…
5) Once time is up, review the list
Person 1 (P1): Let’s have the party with a zoo-theme..
P2: Yes, and let’s use the monkey as a mascot …
P3: Yes, and we’ll decorate the venue with lots of banana …
P4: Yes, and we can have many kinds of fruit juices as drinks…
P1: Yes, and we’ll inform people to come in safari clothings …
P2: Yes, and ….
Because no "judging" should take place here, ideas will flow. Through this activity, you can easily come out with many ideas, just like the game above.
Once the team has decided to end the idea generation, review the list and choose which attributes would suit best for the event.
Hope this quick tips help you to generate ideas quickly.
Comments are closed.