One of the ways to engage the audience in your speaking event/ meeting is through activities. And there is none other than playing games.
In the recent wedding event at Hotel Re! which I hosted, we played the "Passing Game". It was fun and everyone laughed their hearts out.
To play this game, what you need is:
1) A small item that can be passed around easily (eg a small ball)
2) Have enough quantities. If you have 5 sub-groups, just ensure that each sub-group has 1 item.
3) Music - preferably with faster beats
How to Play:
1) Announce that once the music is played, the item needs to be passed around within the group. When the music stops, whoever is holding on to the item would need to come the stage to do "something" (which you will keep a secret)
2) Play the music
3) Get the item passed around within the sub-groups
At this time, anxiety increases because your audience will try to "avoid" holding on to the item and quickly pass it to the next person.
4) Abruptly stop the music
At this time, the crowd will go wild; for whatever reasons. You can call up those people to the stage to do the "something" which you will announce.
If you are playing this game whether in a meeting setting, or at a wedding event, remember to reward the participants with small tokens (eg chocolate bars).
Give it a try and share your experiences!